This article applies to all operating systems.
- Uninstall Age of Empires II: The Age of King and Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion pack.
- Please make sure to close Voobly, before performing a clean installation of Age of Empires II, else you will run into more problems.
- Uninstall any previously installed compatibility patches from Control Panel > Programs & Features.
- Uninstall Age2HD from Control Panel > Programs & Features.
- Rename the folder Age2HD to Age2HD_old in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common.
- Go to View > Settings > Interface and set Steam language to English.
- Exit Steam and restart the client.
- Install Aoe2HD through Steam client
- Right-click on Age of Empires II: HD-Edition and click Play Game.
- Wait for the dependencies and updates to be installed.
- Click Play to start Aoe2HD and Exit once you the program was started for the first time.
- Now join one of the AOC lobbies on Voobly and the Game Diagnostic should pop up. If that's not the case, click Game Diagnostic in menu Options and click Yes.
- The compatibility patch will now download in the background. You should see the following window below. Click Next.
- Double check whether Age2HD is installed in the directory shown below and click Next.
- 32-Bit: C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Age2HD
- 64-Bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Age2HD
- Confirm the installation by clicking Install and wait for the installation to complete.
- Complete setup by clicking Finish.
- Close Game Diagnostic, DO NOT click Yes or No again. Also close the game lobby and re-enter the lobby again.
- Now open the Game Diagnostic again, by clicking Game Diagnostic in menu Options.
- You are done!
Manual installation of the compatibility patch
- Navigate to the following web site: https://www.memberplus.org/ to download latest version of the compatibility patch.
- Follow the Steps 1 - 11 in the Step-by-Step Guide above.